If you've read my blog before you know I'm just a teensy bit obsessed with Bree's blog, Baked Bree. I bookmark 99% of her recipes and they are always delicious. I was looking for a reason to make these rolls for a while. I've made cinnamon rolls many times and when Bree discribed how amazing, buttery, garlicky and pillowy these savory versions were, I searched for the perfect recipe to pair them with. I ended up making her Indian Butter Chicken recipe (also fabulous) and made these rolls in lieu of Naan bread. Perfection. The great thing about these rolls (besides how easy they are to make) is that you can freeze what you're not using right away and just place in the fridge the night before you want to make them. Take them out and let them sit at room temperature for 45 minutes while the oven heats. If you make these for guests, beware. They will want these every time they come back to your house!
Garlic Butter Yeast Rolls
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 cups bread flour
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 8 TBSP unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1-2 TBSP Parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
- Mix together yeast and water in a large bowl.
- Add 2 TBSP of the 1/3 cup sugar into the bowl. Whisk until yeast is dissolved.
- Let yeast stand 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Stir in 1 cup of the flour into the yeast mixture. Set aside yeast mixture.
- In the bowl of a mixer/food processor, add yeast mixture, 2 cups flour, the rest of the sugar, melted butter, milk and salt.
- Beat until dough comes together. Add rest of flour in 1/4 cup increments, until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl and is no longer sticky. You may have some flour left over.
- Place dough in a bowl coated with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise and double in a warm place (about 2 hours).
- While the dough is rising, make garlic butter by mixing together butter, garlic, parsley and Parmesan in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle (about 16x10), but it doesn't have to be exact.
- Slather dough with garlic butter, spreading as evenly as possible.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut into strips (I had about 16 strips)
- Roll the strips up and place into a pan lined with parchment better on their sides. (Place any rolls you want to freeze for later on parchment paper in tupperware or large plastic bag)
- Cover pan with towel and let rise 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Enjoy while warm! :)
These look seriously delicious! I love garlic and butter together - particularly with something as comforting as carbs :) Great guest food!ReplyDelete
Brittany- they are oh so good! :) Carbs are my fav!ReplyDelete
That bread sounds so flavorful. I can definitely see this as being the ideal addition to any dinner.ReplyDelete
It really is delicious, Lisa, and a fav of this carb-lover! :)ReplyDelete