I have a great update to your classic apple pie recipe. This recipe has two wonderful crusts on the top & bottom & is dotted with delicious toffee pieces that add the perfect flavor when slightly melted. I made this pie in a hurry (sorry, no photos of the process), but I didn't think it was too difficult at all! The most annoying part is chilling your ingredients before you start, but it helps the crust come together. It was SO delicious with some light caramel swirl ice cream!
I think I'm going to make it again this weekend for a BBQ, and it would be the perfect addition at a Thanksgiving table! I really hope you give it a shot soon. I have to say, I normally make my mother's classic pie crust, but I went ahead and gave this crust a shot since it went along with the recipe. I can't complain - pretty tasty!
Caramel Apple Pie
Recipe from Food Network
For the crust:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup + 1 TBSP butter flavored shortening, chilled
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 TBSP vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 cups apples (I used 3 Grann Smith & 3 Gala)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 TBSP heavy cream
- 4 TBSP butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 1 TBSP butter
- 2 toffee bars or a bunch of mini toffee bars, crushed
- Chill all ingredients, including flour & vinegar. I found I had more room in my freezer when I measured the ingredients first.
- Combine flour, salt & sugar. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until resembles cornmeal.
- In another bowl, mix water & vingar with baten egg. Add liquid mixture, 1 TBSP at a time, to flour mixture, mixing with fork to form dough. IT should come together easily, but not be too sticky.
- Divide into 2 portions and roll each circle into a large circle of dough
- Carefully lay 1 circle over pie pan and gently press into pan, crimping edges as you go.
- Set aside second crust for later.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Peel and slice apples (you can go ahead and start doing this while the ingredients are chilling if you want). Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl & add apples to mix. Add vanilla & cream.
- Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium heat & add apple mixture. Cook about 8 minutes to soften apples & pour directly into pie crust.
- Combine flour & sugar in another bowl & mix in butter with a fork until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in the crushed toffee & sprinkle evenly over filling.
- Carefully place pie crust on top of pie, sealing edges as you go & fluting the edge with fingers.
- Use a sharp knife to cut small vents in the top around the middle.
- Brush with beaten egg white & sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes & reduce heat to 350. Bake 45 minutes longer. Let cool for 20 minutes, or longer, before serving. Pie will not be completley set up, but still very delicious!
- Store leftovers in fridge.